The Official News Site of The Pharcyde, The Benjamin Upper School Newspaper.

The Pharblog

New Rubik’s Cube World Record Inspires Students to Learn: Instructional Videos

Mats Valk. the new record holder, smiles after solving the cube. Photo Courtesy of Ruwix.com

Robert Rubin, Staff Writer

The Rubik’s Cube is very difficult to solve on its own, and solving it in such a short amount of time as under five seconds might have seemed impossible, until this past weekend.

Dutch speedcuber Mats Valk, at 20 years old, broke the world record for solving a 3×3 Rubik’s Cube in 4.74 seconds at a competition held in East Java, Indonesia on November 5th, 2016. He broke the record set by fifteen-year-old American Lucas Etter of 4.90 seconds on November 24, 2015.

Valk has been one of the modern pioneers of speedsolving the Rubik’s Cube. He held the record single 3×3 solve time of 5.55 seconds from 2013-2015.  In his 4.74 second solve, he used a method subset that he created, Valk Last Slot, and he used his own brand of speedcube, The Valk 3, which is available for purchase at online stores.

Here is a link to his video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLksISrKtO8

If you want to learn how to solve a Rubik’s Cube, check out this tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnSpUgOvyI