The Official News Site of The Pharcyde, The Benjamin Upper School Newspaper.

The Pharblog

New Royal Caribbean Ship Shoves Off in England

The Harmony of the Seas' deck plan, including multiple waterslides and deck levels.

Marine Wolff, Production Manager

The Royal Caribbean has just launched a new cruise ship name the, Harmony of the Seas. This cruise ship debuted in the Southampton in England.

Its enormity makes it almost seem as its own country and it even weighs 226,963 tons. There are about 6,780 passengers allowed to be on the cruise ship as well as about 2,100 crew members, which is bigger than some private high schools and other academic institutions.

It is so enormous that the ship is divided into 7 “neighborhoods”.

Nonetheless, one of the main objectives of this cruise ship is to not only ensure that there is an abundance of people as well as activities, but that it is also the world’s best cruise ship.

Some of the amenities include three water slides called Perfect Storm, as well as a “Sports Zone, boardwalk, a carousel, amphitheater-style AquaTheater; and a tree-lined central park filled with restaurants, including Jamie’s Italian restaurant created by the famous Jamie Oliver chef. Even the musical “Grease” is offered as one its main entertainment.

This ship also includes a Bionic Bar where the drinks are served by robots bartenders. This ship features 23 swimming pools as well as 20 restaurants.

One of the main reason that this cruise line is investing in new and bigger cruise ship is to compete with their created rivalry cruise line, Carnival.

This new cruise ship is really setting the bar high for other competing companies as well as setting records.

Nonetheless, individuals seeking to protect the environment as well as other may argue if this massive cruise ship is dangerous for the environment as well. Most argue that air pollution these behemoths are worsening every year due to the increase in cruise ships and the growing sector of a mass tourism industry and as ships get bigger and bigger.

According to Colin MacQueen, who lives around 400 yards from the docks and is a member of new environment group Southampton Clean Air, the fumes edited by the ship directly contribute to the highly polluted air.

He argues, “We can smell, see and taste it. These ships are like blocks of flats. Sometimes there are five or more in the docks at the same time. The wind blows their pollution directly into the city and as far we can tell, there is no monitoring of their pollution. We are pushing for them to use shore power but they have resisted.”

On the other hand, people argue that such huge boat can help increase jobs, therefore leading to a reduction in employment as well as a growth of the economy. In fact,  “The industry shows no signs of slowing down. It generated $119.9billion dollars in total output worldwide in 2015, supporting 939,232 full-time equivalent jobs,” said a spokesman.

Now the question is will you be traveling on this cruise ship over the summer?

Photo Courtesy of Royal Carribean