The Official News Site of The Pharcyde, The Benjamin Upper School Newspaper.

The Pharblog

Students Receive Scholastic Art and Writing Awards

Marine Wolff, Staff Writer

This past week a number of students in the Upper School received a Scholastic Art and Writing Award. The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, presented by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, is the nation’s longest-running, most prestigious educational initiative supporting student achievement in the visual and literary arts. The program has an impressive 90-year legacy of being the first to support and promote creativity within youths and as well as talent. It is now the largest source of scholarships for creative teens in grades 7 – 12.

This award is given to people who demonstrate a passion and an aptitude for writing, filmmaking, photography, poetry, and sculpting. Students can apply in 29 categories of art and writing for their chance to earn scholarships and have their works exhibited and published.

Their combined winning works of digital art, photography, design, drawing, mixed media, ceramics, sculpture, comic art and portfolio earned them a huge number of Gold Keys, Silver Keys, Honorable Mention awards this year.

More importantly, “In March, our Gold Key regional winners will advance to national competition in New York City,” announced Upper School Visual Arts Department Chair Melissa Ford. “Our students achieved an excellent showing in a variety of mediums, including drawing, photography and digital art.”

Junior, Zuyi Zhao received an impressive amount of recognition for her work published. She comments, “I’m really excited about the fact that my work is going to be considered for national ranking, but I’m also kind of nervous about how I’ll do in it.”

We wish them the best of luck as they compete for the students next round!