The Official News Site of The Pharcyde, The Benjamin Upper School Newspaper.

The Pharblog

What is the Key to Success?

Marine Wolff, Staff Writer

As the new semester has started, it is important to assess how to succeed and do better for the second semester.

Many students have heard about DJ Khaled’s video on “The Key to Success”. Due to this viral video, many people have been questioning the key to success for themselves. Angela Lee Duckworth, a psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania, suggests that grit might be the key to predicting both the academic and professional success of a person. Grit is crucial in determining the success of someone as it involves someone’s strength in character and endurance. For instance, many people have heard of the saying, “Life is not a sprint, it is a marathon”. Unlike a sprint which tests your speed, a marathon requires a lot of perseverance, strength, and endurance. In the beginning of a marathon, your head keeps you focused with the notion that all dreams are possible with the right state of mind. As the journey progresses, the sheer will to succeed must move you forward. At the most challenging moments, your heart will undoubtedly take over. This is a reminder that life is the ultimate marathon for it’s the moments that make up the journey. This is why success depends more on how long you can endure and overcome harsh obstacles. In order to achieve one’s dreams, one must have the ability to surpass obstruction.

Furthermore, Outliers written by Malcolm Gladwell goes further into what he identifies as the key to success. He argues that the true story of success concerns factors such as family, birthplace, or even birth date. The story of success is more complex than it initially appears. The lives of “outliers” follow a peculiar and unexpected logic. For example, one of the chapters looks at the fact that a surprising number of the most powerful and successful corporate lawyers in New York City have almost the exact same biography: they are Jewish men, born in the Bronx or Brooklyn in the mid-1930′s to immigrant parents who worked in the garment industry. Initially, this is pure coincidence, but when looking at this situation more in depth, it appears to be completely normal. It turns out that these people succeed because they were born during the Great Depression and had parents who worked in the garment business. Living under these harsh conditions prompted them to reach to the top, pursue their dream, and strive to fulfill their career aspirations.

Another book written by Malcolm Gladwell titled David and Goliath touches upon the story of Goliath, a giant and Philistine warrior, and David a shepherd boy in Israel. In this situation, it is almost evident that the giant will win against the small shepherd boy that has no military experience. Nevertheless, the little shepherd overcame his disadvantage and won the combat against the giant. This is why Malcolm Gladwell argues that people with major disadvantages, in fact, turn out to win to their weaknesses. In one book, Gladwell cites various afflictions that may have significantly contributed to success.

What is the key to success at The Benjamin School? Sophomore Alyssa Suarez gives her advice on how to succeed in school: “I keep a planner to write down my homework daily, I make a schedule on how long to work on each assignment, eat well, make time for sleep, and try to get as much sleep as possible. I also try to keep a positive attitude, even when stressed with homework.”